Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Candidates for the 2021 Federal Election

​​​Are you running to be a Member of the House of Commons?

Here is information you will need if elected! 

If elected to the House of Commons, you will be subject to the Conflict of Interest Code for Members of the House of Commons

The Code will help you, as a Member, avoid conflicts of interest as you serve the public. The Code sets out rules that you and your family must follow. This includes the confidential disclosure of certain information to the Office. The Code also establishes a procedure for investigating alleged contraventions of these rules. 

Follow us on Tw​itter (@EthicsCanada) and check the website for information that will help you comply with the rules. 

What information must be disclosed to the Com​​missioner?

Within 60 days of your name being published in the Canada Gazette as a new Member, you will be required to disclose certain private information about your income, liabilities and other holdings to the Office. The form to provide this information is available here

What about my spouse and fam​ily?

Your spouse and dependent children will also have to disclose the same information to the Office within the same 60-day period as you. The same form can be used.

Will any of this become​​ public?

Only general information will be made public, as required under section 24 of the Code. You will be assigned an advisor who will prepare a summary of information requiring public disclosure and send it to you for review. Once you have reviewed, signed and submitted the summary to the Office, it will be posted i​​n the public registry. The information will be removed when you stop being a Member, for example at the time the next general election is called. 

What else do I have to disclose ​​to the Office?

On an ongoing basis, you will have to disclose to the Office any changes to your assets or liabilities, outside activities or life changes such as getting married or having a child.

What abou​​t gifts?

Members of the House of Commons may receive gifts. These could include consumer goods, invitations to receptions and galas, or tickets to sporting events. All gifts are subject to an acceptability test and must be publicly disclosed if they are worth $200 or more. 

What if I am made a parliamentary secre​​tary or minister?

In addition to your obligations under the Code, as a parliamentary secretary or minister you would have additional requirements under the Conflict of Interest Act. For example, you would be prohibited from holding controlled assets such as stocks. The website includes more information about the Act.​​

Last Modified: